Sunday, September 21, 2008

first fishing experience at Bintulu waterfront


I had a great fishing outing with Henry, Tan & girlfriend. It started with a simple conversation with Tan over lunch. I listen with great interest as he relates his scuba diving experience and the many ocean fishing trips he embarked on. After the sharing session, i couldn't get my mind off going fishing.



















Tan, Henry, Me



I have had several pond fishing, and 1 river fishing experience few years back. i really wish to relive that experience. Now that i found "fishing kaki", they helped realize my dream.


Me and Henry were amateurs. Tan guided us in setting up the reel on our newly bought reel and rod. After several casting practices, we kept our fingers crossed hoping that fish would take out bait.


The more experienced Tan landed in the first two fish.
























Tan 1st catch - Belukang fish


The Ikan Belukang, so it's called here, has a spine that sticks out like a razor with needle like tip which could cause a lot of pain if it lashes out at you. We had to be extra careful when removing the hook from its mouth and then releasing it into the open sea. According to Tan, the flesh is not at all delicious, so this fish is considered as pest to fishing enthusiast. lol.

























Tan's 2nd catch : Eel



The Eel looks like a snake than a fish to me. with its hideous face, it really gives me the creeps looking at it. And it is really squirmish, twisting and turning its body around which gave us a hard time trying to release it off the hook.




















My 1st catch : Belukang


It gave me nice punch of adrenaline rush when reeling up my first catch. The feeling is similar to that at driving at 180km/hr or when your car starts to skid minus then danger. Don't get me wrong, I'm a responsible driver and i abide to the law most of the time. lol




















Henry's 1st catch : ikan Gelama


Anyway, Henry reeled in Ikan Gelama, the most decent and best looking fish of the night. lol. All in all, we all managed to reel in at least one catch.
As night turned into day, the tide subside, my best guess is that all the fish goes to rest at this time because there weren't a slightest tug at our bait, however interesting it was.


My first fishing experience here promises a lot more interesting adventure, which i will share with fellow readers.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The Belukang is also commonly known as Ikan Duri in West Malaysia. A catfish family.

Unknown said...

We go to more interesting fishing spot in Bintulu next time, lets get some freshwater prawns (Galah! Galah!).

poo said...

GAlah Galah!!.. Prawn cry..haha